Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Shout it!

Just think about the millions (actually for most people I know it’s billions or more) of thoughts that go through your head in a day, an hour, a minute. If you’re at all like me than those things range from, “Man, I should really eat something more for breakfast.” to “Where’s a map?” But, I think that with my easily distracted brain most of my in-between thoughts are more along the lines of, “Wow, I really like her hair clip.” and “I wish I could get my trash in the basket from ten feet away.” Seriously, those are the simple kinds of things that chase each other through my mind for most of the day.

Anyway, so here I am thinking all this and it makes me wonder: If I said maybe 5% more of the compliments I was thinking out loud to the well dressed or highly skilled people I see, what kind of an affect would that have? I hope it wouldn’t be that unusual to those people. I want to think that people hear compliments all the time and receive them graciously. (Yeah, don’t just brush them off.) I almost hope my compliments would have no effect, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the kind of world we live in.

We don’t live in a world where people readily give compliments. Maybe that’s a result of the way competition is encouraged. You always have to be better than the next guy on the bus. On the other end, we don’t live in a world where compliments are readily accepted. People keep their focus on their flaws. We’re constantly seeing what we can improve rather than what is already great about us. Well I have something to say.

Hello world. My name is Carrotsoda and I’m GREAT. The better news is, everyone I know is GREAT too. And best of all you! YOU ARE FANTASTIC. You know how to dress in the morning. You can do so many things that I can’t. Hooray. You are so cool.

[Now that I’ve gone through quite the ramble, I want to thank my friend KJ. Thanks for telling me my hair looks great. I thought so, but it sure felt nice to hear it from somebody else!]

No comments: